Summer Visit: Grand Tower, Illinois

 Grand Tower has fascinated me wince my father took us there when he was scout master for the Carbondale Branch troop 151.  I was told that the island was the smallest National Park in the United States.  It actually is not a National Park but is part of a Conservation area which is small and includes some of the Missouri shore.  When I was traveling from Carbondale to St. Louis I made it a point to drive past this area and take a few pictures.  The campground is called Devil's Backbone.  The island tower is actually in Missouri.  When the water is very low you can access the island from the Missouri side.  I was always fascinated by tragedy of the wedding story which left me forever scared of whirlpools on the Mississippi.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Light at Last Stop on Route 93

Kingman Restaurant Review: Calicos

Jeremy and the Boys